Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer

It is really hard to focus on school when there is so much magic going on outside my window!  I gave in to temptation last week and bought two cannas, one buddleia and two crossandra - none of which are planted yet.  I have to study for an exam today, finish a paper by tomorrow and a project by Thursday.  I have no business going outside but I couldn't resist snapping a few photos this morning.


  The bees LOVE the agastache.  It smells like licorice when you pinch off a flower or leaf.  I have all kinds of strange, metallic, fuzzy, small and big bees buzzing all around this plant all day when it is sunny.

I have seen this moth a few times now and it seems to really like the Sweet Almond Bush (nearly a tree at 10 feet tall!).  It looks like one of the wasp body moths but I am not sure of its name.

  This is a view of the garden standing with my back to the right wall underneath the large philodendron that occupies the corner.

Polydamas Swallowtail caterpillars are covering the Dutchman's Pipe vine.  I have a habitat with a dozen and the butterflies keep laying eggs (seen in this picture with a medium sized caterpillar

 The Gulf Fritillaries like the Pentas. I bought several colors at Lowe's a year ago in small pots and they have grown in large clumps about 2 feet high.

We have a rain tank in the side yard that we use to water with when it gets dry.  I trained a small Passion Flower vine at the base of it less than a year ago and it is exploding with life!  I think there are more caterpillars and cocoons here than in the backyard different variety passionflower that is growing on my Bird of Paradise.


Passionflower

Laying eggs on a tendril

I found these two flying around attached and waited until they landed to take a picture.  Two Gulf Fritillaries mating. 

The cat checking me out under the philodendron's giant leaves.  I was underneath the 'jungle' taking photos.

The White Bird of Paradise in the backyard is about 20 feet tall.  I trained a Passionflower vine at the base and it has taken off dramatically!  There is a caterpillar in this photo also.

Angel Trumpet which is about 5 feet tall.  Came from a clipping from neighbor's plant less than a  year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment